Wednesday 8 August 2012

Overwhelmed.

This post is going to be something a little different from my usual 'genre'. You know when you have those moments in your life when everything seems to get very overwhelming and stressed? Well I'm kind of having one of those summers. I say summer because I have a very big year ahead of me. Come October I will be entering my third and final year at university. Now the reason I'm feeling a little overwhelmed is that I have to conduct my own 7,000 word research project as well as completing 3,000 word essays for other modules. For those of you who don't know, I'm studying Psychology with Criminology. If you have done Psychology at A Level and are thinking to yourselves that it's relatively easy, think again. Degree level Psychology is not only NOT easy it is very Math orientated. We have to do a lot of statistics and when conducting research we have to run our findings through statistical software (depending on your methodology) and present our findings in a research paper along with a lengthy introduction to the project you are researching and a lengthy discussion about it. Anyway, I'm rambling, I'm not here to tell you the ins and outs of my degree, just to let off a little steam.  Basically, it is not easy to sit and think of a research project and it involves so many components including ethics that it makes the whole process a little MANIC. I've had ideas for my project for a while and I have various journal articles around the subject so I'm up to speed. I'm going to be doing something involving media representations of mental illness. But yeah, it's a lot to consider when you haven't really done this type of thing before (Uni like to throw you in at the deep end). Alongside my hectic academic year, I have to work 16 hours a week for three adults with learning disabilities (which also has it's stressful moments) and I have applied to volunteer at a family support unit as a counsellor/listener.

I have taken on so much for this year that I'm extremely excited about but also overwhelmed by at the same time. I am a serial planner and list maker but sometimes I forget that these things help to calm me and put things into perspective (which my boyfriend has to remind me of from time to time) and if I just sit down and list everything I need to do then I'll be just fine. Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. I have emailed my supervisor a lengthy email and hopefully she'll calm me a little as well when she replies. I also kind of can't believe that by this time next year I will have a degree in Psychology. It seems so bizarre and mind blowing although I have worked so hard for this and I'm so excited to finally finish. Although my inner geek will kind of miss it.  My studying won't stop there though, I am planning to do my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology at some point but once I have little more work experience behind me or once I've done a Post Graduate qualification. I'm not entirely sure yet. I feel so much better now I have wrote it down and I'm sorry this was probably really boring but I needed to vent somewhere.

Let me know if any of you guys are about to do your dissertation (any subject) and what your ideas are etc? 

Love,
Louise
x

1 comment: